Monday, September 28, 2009

Healthcare

This is not a funny entry, nor is it really worth reading but just some thoughts I had.

First of all, my information today comes from things I have heard on NPR, read in Emergency Medicine articles, and have learned from working in the ER/med school.

NPR locally had a discussion where they said that for every pack of cigarettes one person smokes it costs the state $28. If we want to shave on health care, banning cigarettes, not taxing, seems like a good start.

My "health care costs" class in Medical school quoted the number that "40% of health care costs go to administration, not patient care." This means paperwork, insurance administrators, etc.. This same class taught that 90% of the money spent on health care is in the last year of life.

EPMonthly did a really nice breakdown and said that only 1-2% of cost is in the Emergency room.

I am not sure where I read the statistic that 5% of health care costs go to Trial lawyers/lawsuits.

So my overly simplified thought on saving money in health care is the following:
1. Outlaw smoking/charge WAY higher health insurance premiums.
2. Get rid of med malpractice, and get rid of bad doctors.
3. Implement fee for service, simplify reimbursement to shave money off of the administrative costs.
4. The last year of life is very expensive. Most of it is intensive care. Have the discussion: Quality vs Length of life.
5. Institute a co-pay for anyone, insured or not, medicare/medicaid or not, to disincentives the convenient ER visit. I had a lady ask me how long the wait was in the er, when I told her it was an hour, she said "Oh, then I will just go to my doctor for my medication refill."
Anyway, The last thought I had was this: We are too fat, too unhealthy. We need to be in better shape, lose weight, exercise more, and stop smoking. If we are concerned about the health care crisis we need people to start taking care of themselves. Perhaps instead of taxing the 46 million uninsured. We should tax everyone, then if you exercise, lose weight, don't smoke, you get a tax break...

enough rambling. have a good day

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about this post all afternoon. Actually, I've been thinking about your ideas since our conversation at your home back in May. I just came in from a six mile walk, I don't smoke . . . I would love a tax break.

    You bring up some very valid points.

    How would you get rid of bad doctors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in full agreement about the blogging statements, but I can't let the health care situation go.

    When you have paid health care for 50 or 60 years of your existence, YOU are the one that deserves it the last year of life (i.e., Pres. Hinkley having Kemo at 92). I don't care if it's the most expensive year. It is the reason most of us have contributed. We don't discourage others from having more children because of pregnancy costs. One more year of a grandparent is one more year that a child knows them. It's what teaches us patience and compassion . . . and the list goes on . . .

    And don't get me started on being overweight . . . :)

    I guess I'm not quite on the same page on this one. Other than I'm not for government run health care and the lawsuit business has got to stop.

    My first solution would be to make fruits and vegetables more affordable. I would quit giving subsidies to farmers who don't plant anything to keep prices high. Chips are cheaper than strawberries . . . etc.

    I've got many more suggestions that would never fly, so I'll quit on this one.

    ReplyDelete