Wednesday, September 9, 2009

ELI

For all the grief he gives us, he is actually a smart kid.

We have been trying to teach him how to talk. He can communicate, mainly by pointing and screaming till we give him anything we figure he was pointing at. (Last night I offered him a can of freeze dried mushrooms, as far as I could tell it was the only thing on the counter. After explaining that they were "yuck, yuck" he said "wah" which means yes. He the proceeded to stack his dinner plate on top of it to make it closer to his face... weird.)

Last night, I was doing some work on the computer (looking at motorcycles) and he was in the other room watching Wallace and Grommit. I noticed that there was no noise and figured he had somehow hit the mute button. When I went in to assess the situation this is what I found:

Eli was standing on top of a toy, taking a disk out of the DVD player and trying to put a new one in!! HE IS BARELY TWO! When I jumped in to help him and asked what he wanted to watch before bed time he pinched his nose (skunk) then said "roar" and then sunk his head to his shoulders (turtle). He wanted to watch the movie with a skunk, turtle, and bear. Hmmmm... either baby Einstein or OVER THE HEDGE. I asked him and he said "wah"(yes)...

So as I am loading the new DVD into the player, I noticed that it was empty.

"Eli, where is the other DVD?"

"eehh da" (there) he says, pointing.

"Where" I asked.

Proud as peaches he walks over and points to the VCR with a smile and says "eehh Da." Then proudly climbs on the couch and excitedly kicks his feet.

I would never have found that disk again! I mean who looks in a VCR player for a DVD?

This is a sad commentary on how frequently we change DVDs for that kid. DON'T JUDGE ME till you have listened to him cry.

3 comments:

  1. Yep. It's a sad day when they learn how to switch the DVD's. That's why we had to buy a new player, Carter broke the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, he doesn't say much yet, but he makes his wishes known pretty well. Also, I loved your last time--don't judge me!! Seriously, there are lots of things you just can't understand until you watch Eli yourself. :-) Love you honey!

    BG

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh let me send you my daughter, I think they would get along GREAT, two peas in a pod!! Although, she has a rather extensive vocabulary, maybe she could teach him a few words while they sit and watch DVD after DVD!!

    oh I have found a few DVD's in our VCR player too, crazy kids!

    ReplyDelete