Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Daddy things

So this story goes along the lines of grossness. Do not read if you have a problem with poo.

We recently traveled out to Grants Pass Oregon for a job interview. It was scheduled to be 8 hours of travel and ended up being closer to 20 (not an exaggeration). Well, when you travel with kids, you pack for the unexpected... extra clothes for blow outs/vomit, extra formula for hunger issues, extra wipes, extra toys etc.

I packed Eli's emergency pack which had 6 diapers, usually enough for a full days travels. He had a lot to drink that day and the day had gone longer than we anticipated, doing the math I calculated that we had one hour till we would be with our suitcase and reinforcements. I changed him into his last diaper. Within 6 minuted he pooped in it.

At this point you have three choices:
1. let him sit in it for an hour
2. take it off and let him run around without a diaper
3... clean the poop out and reuse the diaper and hope it is more solid than liquid... also hoping no one checks the trashcan or upsets the diaperwipe-full-of-fresh-poo.

As an MD and not afraid of a little (or lot as it turned out) poo, I chose option 3. And as I finished triumphantly preserving our last diaper, Bridget then informed me that we had one more diaper in her bag.

Clearly the superior gender.

6 comments:

  1. YOU are really funny! And that day was SO LONG!! I was so proud of you. But prouder for me for packing enough diapers! :-) Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am surprised you took that job after all the hassle it took to get there. NIGHTMARE!

    I would have put him in one of his sisters diapers. Option 4

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Whitney, I can't wait!! I'm excited to read your blog and glad you have started one. Congratulations and I'll definintely be lurking...
    Aunt Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a tale! Just one more harrowing detail from an unbelievably long nightmarish travel day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Jackie. I would've put him in Dora's diapers and laughed my head off at the butt showing on both sides.

    ReplyDelete