Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Love Songs


I met a couple this week who had been married for 68 years, I asked them what the key to success was. The man replied, "Yes, Ma'am." He then continued, "You have to say it a lot."

The woman answered, "It takes a lot of hard work, you can't just give up when things get tough."

Their health was not the greatest, they moved a little slower, but their minds were still very sharp. I was lucky to  have this interaction, and it got me thinking about how lucky I am and what 68 years will do to me.

I was listening to the radio about love and attraction and how wonderful a new relationship is... blah blah blah. The song had emotion and is very popular. I know that song has made more money that I will in my career. The artist has not had a successful marriage, several failed marriages and relationships... and yet sings of eternal love. What do they know about that? What possible insight to Eternal Love could they have?

It would be like asking a vegan how a steak tastes.

Maybe that is a bad analogy: It is more like asking a bulimic what they thought of dinner. Sure the first bites are good, but you are missing the point if you will just expunge the whole experience later.

Love songs should be written by old people.

I wished I had more time to talk to this couple. Think of the insight in 68 years!

BG has been very sick with this pregnancy. I wish there was more I could do. For right now, I guess "Yes, Ma'am" will have to do.

1 comment: