Friday, May 25, 2012

I am a Wimp



Working as an ER doc has turned me into a wimp

Yesterday I took the kids for a walk around a lake by our house. We went to the more natural lake first: the one with weeds, reeds, rocks, mud, bugs etc.

As we were walking I noticed several hibernating fire ant colonies, just waiting to be poked or stepped on. I noted several holes and nests. I did find a Tiny Frog about 1 cm, hopping for its life to escape from us. I picked it up and showed the kids. Dora was so excited to see the "tiny f'og."

I looked over and saw a 3 foot snake skin and rather than getting it and showing it to my kids, I said, lets go back to the car and walk around the small lake.

We walked uneventfully, thankfully, around the smaller lake. We stopped to stare at oranges (one of the neighbors has an orange tree, the last flood washed dozens of oranges into the tiny lake) and throw sticks in the water. We also had a good look at our neighbor's backyards. Some people have some awesome playgrounds!

But that takes me back to why I am a wimp.
I have seen 8 snake bites this year. Countless spider bites, abscesses, infected mosquito bites. Multiple broken arms, legs, ankles.

I kept having all these scenarios of how my kids could get hurt while I was walking with them. Visions/premonitions of injury kept creeping into my consciousness, and clouding my judgment. What happened to being carefree, and cool? What happened to the great outdoors?

I know, I know. Statistically snake bites occur on the hands of 20-40 year old males with alcohol playing a large part.. Who cares about statistics? The cost of a snakebite (if venemous) is $40K at least!

Maybe TV and video games are in my kids best interest? I wanted to build a tree house like the one we had but broken arms, legs and heads...

It is probably good I am not an insurance man or I would never get in a car or leave the house. Maybe a padded room with soft pillows...

Being an ER Doc is ruining me for my kids.

1 comment:

  1. Whitney, you're so funny, but I can see why the things you see every time you're at work would impact your thinking!

    ReplyDelete