Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Price of Being Bald

I used to use a bottle of shampoo every 2-3 months. I used whatever the generic Suave was. Typically my shampoo cost $1.89. Or about $10-12 per year. Now that I no longer need shampoo, I am saving that much per year... or so I thought.

I have previously mentioned that before marrying Bridget, I bought razors at the dollar store. For shaving one's head, I would not recommend it. Let me describe what it feels like to have your head shaved with a cheap razor.

1) Imagine taking a piece of sandpaper and rubbing the hair off of your head. While that may work, there are always patches that get missed and are too inflamed to want to hit again.
2) Instead of cutting the hair and leaving the skin unscathed, my hair remains unscathed--that is the parts that remain attached to the skin embedded in the razor.
3) After I finally get the bleeding stopped, my head remains sensitive for at least another 24-36 hours.

So, my cost for shampoo has decreased, my cost of toilet paper (to stop bleeding) and razors have made up for that. My next step is to get more expensive razors... theoretically, less bleeding means less toilet paper. They may end up paying for themselves.

Being bald seems to be a financial wash.

No comments:

Post a Comment