Thursday, May 6, 2010

Development

So, I bought a motorcycle.

Before anyone gets too concerned about me killing myself, you should know it was not running.

As far as I can tell, the last time it was driven was in 2000. That is what the tags say anyway. For $175, I bought a 1981 Kawasaki KZ440. It is a "cruiser". Assuming I can get it street legal.

So what can you get for $175? Here are a list of things wrong with it.
1. Every nut, screw, bolt is rusted to the frame.
2. The brakes are so good that the wheel won't spin. The back wheel is rusted in place.
3. No battery.
4. The carbeurator is full of what can only be described as carrot jello.
5. The tank is rusted.
6. The mufflers are rusted so bad, the are actually amplifiers.
7. No mirrors.

So Golden and I have been working on this in our free time for the past couple of months and two weekends ago.... drumroll... we got it running. Under its own power. Stopping with its newly rebuilt brakes. I have actually riden it for 300 yards! Now all I need is a Helmut!

Total cost so far: $310, most of it was battery. It is kind of fun to pretend to be a mechanic.

So, I think I paid too much when I bought it initially. But, it is amazing that one can turn a hunk of garbage into a motorcycle... I kind of want to find a car for $175 and see what I can do.

Anyone want to get rid of a car?

1 comment: