Tuesday, December 15, 2009

HOT Dogs

So, I recently learned something.

The hot dogs at K-Mart are not worth eating. Last week, Eli hadn't had dinner yet and we were running errands. I was also hungry so we got hot dogs. K-Mart has one of these little cafe things where they have slushies, nachos, and hot dogs. From what I could tell they had been under the heat lamp at least 4-6 days, so long in fact, that instead of being plump and juicy, they were shriveled and leathery. It was more like Dog Jerky than Hot Dog. Which brings us to the meat: I don't know what goes into a hot dog, I prefer not to know. As long as it is juicy and tasty, I
don't care if it is pork, beef, or chicken skin. This hot dog however, had a grainy texture that was either sawdust, or dog meat.

You are probably blaming me for where I got the food. Well, you would be right. I mean if you want a steak you don't go to McDonald's, if you want Shrimp you don't go to Wendy's, and if you want good food, you don't go to Taco Bell.

Well, as any connoisseur of hot dogs knows, the best ones come from the most questionable places: street vendors, sporting events, and Wienerschnitzel. K-mart falls into that category. If any hot dog has the potential, it is the questionable rotisserie, recycled grease, and underpaid employee at K-Mart.

I gambled, I lost.

Eli Lost too... as the contents of his stomach ended up in his bed the next morning.

Stay tuned for a helpful homemaking tip: remove the hot dog chunks before putting sheets in the washer. They do not dissolve like I thought they would and Bridget did not appreciate my "help" when she had to pick them out later.

3 comments:

  1. eww. gross. hot dogs are ALWAYS a lose/lose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the ode to the dog.

    Yes, I agree, vendors are the best.

    You're also right. They don't dissolve. Experience teaches us what chemistry did not.

    Dog jerky described so well what I envisioned.

    Great post, Whitney. Great post.

    ReplyDelete