Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas Tree

This year we went to the "Children's Miracle Network" to buy our tree. The money goes to Charity so we didn't mind spending a few more dollars. The sales man said something about a citrus smelling tree that looked like a Hershey Kiss. We usually just get a Douglas fir, they are cheaper and look the same. Well, I bought the more expensive tree, against my better (and cheaper) judgement.

I now have more pine needles than carpet fiber in my living room. Despite watering it every day and keeping the kids away, the pine needles were Jumping off the tree like lifeboats on the Titanic.

So, Last night was it. We have plugged up our old vacuum bag with needles and decided to take the tree down. Bridget held the tree as I unscrewed the base. I lifted the tree, headed for the door and hauled it to the dumpster.

As I got closer to the dumpster, I noticed it getting lighter. After disposing of the tree, I followed the trail of pine needles to the house. We spent the next half hour cleaning the needles and now our house smells like the mountains.

This morning, I was taking other trash to the dumpster, I noticed my tree, naked, lonely and nearly needleless lying on a pile of melting snow and gave it a shake. Not a needle fell!

Lessons Learned this Christmas season:
1. Never buy the more expensive tree, it will shed worse, cost more and be just as big a mess to clean up.
2. Tree clean up makes your house smell great!
3. If you don't want to clean up needles after taking the tree down. Lay it on a bed sheet and wrap it up.
4. If you really don't want to clean up needles, either set the tree up outside, or shake it needleless before bringing it in the house.
5. I am not sure... but if you were to burn one of the trees in front of the the others at the tree stand, you might be able to scare the other needles into staying on.

Happy Boxing Day!

2 comments:

  1. When I was growing up we always had a live tree. I love the smell - we always went and cut it ourselves (usually around the middle of December) and it was one of the highpoints of the season. After Don and I were married I wanted a live tree - I wanted to go cut it ourselves. Our first Christmas we had a live tree and from time to time since we have had one, but for Christmas 1983 in Dallas he brought home an artificial tree. It was huge and looked really pretty in our high-ceilinged room. Since he'd spent the money we continued to use it. I noticed that it was easier to "clean up after" than a live tree. I still love that smell so I try to get a live wreath so that everytime I go in or out the door, I can enjoy that Christmasy fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Calvin and I had a tree that never even made it to Christmas. It was like having the makings for a real life campfire in our house, between it, the fireplace and the lights. We took it down nearly a week before and just pretended we had a tree.

    ReplyDelete