Saturday, July 20, 2013

Driving advice

Driving in UK has been really fun. It is a good combo of stress, exhilaration, stock car racing, and sight seeing.

My advice if you rent a car:

1. Keep the white one the right. Not only are you driving on wrong side, the paint is On the wrong side. A lot of the conditioned visual cues are switched.

2. Have a navigator. Preferably someone who can read maps. Brian had been awesome and very calming.

3. Bring sunglasses. Nothing is worse than being blinded by a Scottish sun with on coming traffic coming at you on the wrong side.

4. Double decker busses. Following them can be a problem. They are allowed places cars aren't. Follow the cabs, they can be good point men.

5. Right hand turns are into traffic and scary as crap.

6. Star Wars. Remember before Luke is about to destroy the Death Star? The direction is "Stay on target. Stay on target." Spoken very calmly. (Then Porkins comes in to deep and crashes!) Driving over here feels the same way. You feel like you are inches away from destruction at any turn. I keep telling myself to "Stay on target" or I might end up like Porkins.

7. Get an automatic. Shifting with your left hand is fun. Shifting with your left hand going through a turn about with oncoming traffic on wrong side of road can be a bit scary!

8. Sat nav/GPS. I think they might be nice if I new how to use one. I have a pretty good navigator.

9. Speed limits. They aren't really posted. I just get in behind someone that looks local.

10. Know km/h to mph conversion in case your car comes in one and the road is in the other. I was doing 120!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - harrowing! We've been through that in England and Wales though - I thought I was going to have a stroke. :)

    ReplyDelete