Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Not Judging

Hey kids, I want to tell you a story

all about how,
My life got flipped, turned upside down.

just kidding, that was fresh prince.

So, I did want to tell you a story about Not Judging and Charity.

Growing up I heard a lot of people talk about how we should only give to the homeless if they weren't going to use it for drugs, and you are better to give to a food pantry, or the church. I remember Smart, and Good People, (caps for emphasis) told me that I was making the homeless problem worse by giving money. "they will never get a job" or "there are better resources for food and clothing" and "theyre just going to use it for drugs" And as a young man, then young adult, then just adult, i would give a dollar or two and think i was helping. But i had an experience that changed my life.

I want to Tell this story to you. And I will make up this guy's name.

So John was homeless. He was a carpenter at one point but became an alcoholic and his life fell apart. He lived in Galveston and panhandled for money and booze.  He had skills to work, but crippled with alcoholism he couldn't. One night he came in for something. I saw him several times per week. He would usually get a change of cloths and sandwich. One night, I had more time than patients so I sat with him.

"John, Im here to help. WHere you sleeping tonight?"
"I have a place behind the Strand"
"What kind of food do you eat?"
"Theres a gas station where i can get a burrito for $1.29"
"Eat any fruits or veg?"
"WHy are you asking me these &$^#% questions?"
"Well, I am trying to get an idea of if i need to give you some thiamin/folic acid, or if you will take a multivitamin if i prescribe it."
"Oh"
"How long can you go without alcohol before getting the shakes."
At this point he sat up and looked at me.
"I sleep behind the strand so that when I wake up, i can go drink the beer that people throw out, I can drink those before getting the shakes, Then I head out to pan handle."

Let me tell you something. Alcoholism is a disease. One that you can die if you are too drunk. And one that you can die from withdrawl. So, this guy, John, if he goes long enough, he will start to get the tremmors, if it goes on longer, he can get hallucinations, seizures and death.

To combat this, he gets up in the morning and drinks TRASH BEER. This man isnt eating garbage, he is literally drinking it.

This guy will die if not for the help of people giving him money. It supports him, but his disease as well, There is not a cure until his circumstances change.

When you judge or withhold charity, you can put someone else at risk. I am not saying give to everyone. I am saying not to judge or withhold charity.

This John was a carpenter, successfull, his wife died of cancer. He had a hard time coping, he drank to deal with it because he was a working man, didnt need a doctor. He lost his wife, then his buisness, then his home. In Les Miserable there is a man looking into a house filled with criminals and thieves, and as he looked in he had compassion and charity and said "Who of us does not get injured when we fall."

My point is this. Charity is the pure love of christ, you should have it for everyone. Do not withhold because of your judgement.

My last point is this: dont start drinking, you never know what is going to happen to you.

Judge not lest ye be judged.
then read Jacob 2:17-22

Kids I love you and am so proud of you.

This will be easier for some of you than for other. Emmy already gives her heart to everyone, and she may need to pull back a little.

You are my joys.

No comments:

Post a Comment