Sunday, December 8, 2013

My first marathon


So I have wanted to do a marathon for 3 years. Bridget pushed me this year and said to stop talking about it and do it. 

 This year I did it. During training I developed blisters, rash, knee pain, shin splints, performis syndrome, but, eventually I was able to hit the longer distances. After I did my first 16 miler, I registered for the 20th Baron Rouge Beach Mararhon. It's one of the few Saturday marathons. The day before the marathon, my buddy Dave mailed me a running shirt and socks and hat. 
I parked and walked a half mile to the starting line! Here was my view at sunrise    
People from all over started to show up. Couple people were wearing shirts showing they had done marathons in all 50 states. 
This is start/finish. 
It was 34 degree with wind. 
Highest was 39!
Here I am lined up at back of starting line. 


I didn't have a pic of me crossing the line. My official time was 4:17:30. 

588 people did half marathon. 300 did full. The winner did it in 2:45 I think. For my age range it was 3:20 I think. My goal was less than 4:30. I'm thrilled with my time of 4:17:30. 

Here us the stuff I got in my bag. 
Shirt, bag, socks, gloves, drink holder, and stickers. I gave the bag and stickers to Eli. 

Briefly I want to talk about the physiology of a marathon and training. 

You need at least 3 months training and running. Stretching is important to prevent a lot of the joint and tendon issues. 

You need good shoes : every step you are putting your whole body weight on one foot and pushing off. Think of it like hitting the bottom of your foot with a 200 lb board every second for 4 hours and 17 minutes. Good shoes save your feet. Shoes are cheaper than podiatrists or orthopedists. 

After 70 minutes of exercise, your sweat starts to  evaporTe. The water leaves the salt behind. This creates a fine salt sand residue on your shirt, socks, shorts. Functionally it turns your shirt turns to sand paper, your socks and shoes become pumice rocks. Invest in a good tech shirt so your shirt goes from gritty to a very fine sand paper. Sensitive areas are under arms, between, legs, nipples, and any other area where skin rubs. 

Underwear. Spend money on anti bounce, anti rub, and anti stink. It is worth it.  

Socks. You want your feet as dry as possible wet socks will turn your feet to fungal balls of blistered hash. Good socks will save your feet. Even with good socks, I lost two toenails, and gained 3 blood blisters, in training. 

Hydrating and carb loading. You loose 1-1.5 liters of sweat per hour. Drink Gatorade for electrolytes. Eat good meals several days before hand. 

Lastly. The promise of the word of wisdom is to run and not be weary, and to walk and not faint. I'm not sure yet if I am getting hidden treasures, but I do feel better about myself. I'm happier because I'm healthier.  I feel better. 

D&C 89

18 And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;

19 And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;

20 And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.



 (D&C 89:18-20)

1 comment: