Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Fighting

I was a referee in college for intramural sports. Basketball, wrestling, and co-ed water polo were the main sports. I played ball on high school, and was competitive. I understand the desire to compete, but I believed then (as I do now) that intramurals are just for fun. No one is recruiting from that league, no one remembers the score one year later (how sad if you do). So my reffing philosophy was let people play and try to prevent injury.

I got yelled at and, even at BYU, sworn at.

I am grateful for that experience because it prepared me for life as a parent. Then, as now, I was underpaid, yelled at, and spent a great deal of time separating infant bickering, kissing boo boos, and wondering what I was thinking.

There are days where my main objective is to keep two of them from going to the hospital, while the third is screaming from the sideline. Quite similar to the Richards Building and Smith Field House.

In fact I would recommend reffing as a parenting 101 boot camp. Throw in poopy diapers and crayons on the wall and you are ready for the first 4 years.

1 comment:

  1. Whitney - you're quite a philosopher! Love the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete